Saturday, October 31, 2020

Candy Corn

 Last week, Lynn Isenbarger of Horsie Mama blog, posted about giving her horse candy corn as a treat - which was coined by I don't remember who Jennifer Buxton of Braymere Saddlery blog wrote about back in 2018. So, just like everyone else, I had tried both the dogs and the cats to see if they would eat the candy corn (of course, I forgot the goats and the chickens at the time). The dogs, in true form, ate them sometimes without chewing - figures! And the cats looked at me in disgust, "what are you giving me?"

Thank you Lynn for reminding me to try out giving the candy corn to the goats, chickens, and now the new pony!

I'm also tried out posting videos to the blog, because the video footage is better than trying to capture the responses than a still photo. However, no matter how short I made the video - it is still too big of a file to post. I'm not tech savvy enough to know how to fix it.

Oh, well.....I don't have any photos from that day (except for two), but I can show you other photos of each individual and tell you about their reactions.

Bonnie eventually warmed up to trying some. She's at the bottom of the pecking order, so if you are giving anybody attention or food, she gets shooed away by the others. However, that doesn't seem to mind her too much. I had to feed her some candy corn separately after distracting the others with their regular hay and corn. Bonnie was too busy eating her real corn to be bothered with some candy corn.
Lizzy is a picky eater. If it has someone else's spit on it (goat or human), she won't eat it. If it's not the usual treat, she won't eat it. It was probably both: something different and Chloe's spit was on my hand.
Paisley loved them! She is a foodie after all.
I tried giving some to Thunder and got the same result as before.
Sniff, sniff, I'm not eating that!
The chickens weren't impressed either.
Peck, peck, I don't get it, what are you giving me??
Jacks wasn't too hip on them either. I had dropped some into his feed bucket. He literally sniffed it and then looked up at me with the look of "What? What's this?"
Of course, he was distracted with Brody being there and started banging on his gate and fence. I seriously think Brody takes pure enjoyment in tantalizing Jackson with the fact of being closer to the food (the former pasture for the goats is now Brody's area, while the goats stay in their pens). Later, after feeding everyone, I treated Jacks with some animal crackers (goat love these!) Obviously, these were a better hit! He did eventually eat the candy corn when it got mixed in with his regular food. 
Brody absolutely loved them. He loved them so much that that was the reason why he was by Jacks begging for more when I was trying to get Jacks interested in them. What I did not know, was that the next few days, Brody was totally convinced that I had more in my pockets. He is a yearling after all and is still learning.
Chloe, another foodie, clearly loved them also, to the point of dominating the space so that she got ALL of them. I had to push her away a few times. She usually throws a tantrum by shaking her head and therefore her horns, as she tromps away.

One of these days, I might figure out how to post videos......maybe even revamp my YouTube account for easier posting.
We'll see.


1 comment:

  1. I love seeing all your animals and their reactions to candy corn!!

    ReplyDelete