Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Another Fuzzy Pony

I've been itchn' to customize another fuzzy Shetland Pony all year. And then, Breyerfest went online and people who, like me, can't get over to Kentucky due to a real life reason, can actually attend,....and oh! Let's do a fuzzy pony to enter in something! I'll tell you "what" after Breyerfest is over. He is going to be a sales piece, though I already have a potential buyer, since she wanted one of my other fuzzy Shetland Ponies who wasn't for sale. I told her that I'd be working on more in the future.

 I had seen some customs here and there using a Classic scale body to make a Traditional scale pony. So, when I noticed that this guy (a freebie from a collector at Sugarfoot Live because he was broken) was the same size as the Breyer Traditional Shetland Pony.
 I was going to use part of his neck as a guide, but saw something else after I grinded the sides of the mane.
 This'll be the first time I'll sculpt my own neck from scratch.
 Yes, I also moved his limbs without his broken leg being fully intact. This is my reference for the pose. Pinterest is so AWESOME!!! Though, I still would like to use all of my reference books that are all packed away in the basement. They're just sitting there doing nothing.

 This stage is always more disturbing than the dremel stage. It reminds me of a story from the James Herriot books.
 Since the Apoxie doesn't adhere to the foam very well, too slick I guess; I usually use either painter's tape or cheap masking tape to create grit.
 I had grinded away part of his muzzle to re-sculpt. Unfortunately, his eyes were affected in the process, so I had to sand them down, too. His muzzle is sculpted to be making a grimace, mischievous expression to give him some character.
 Adding the nostrils. Looks like Kermit the Frog!
 I had sculpted eyes before, but not this good.
 I had obviously re-did how I constructed his neck. I originally had the foam as the structure, but after I added the Apoxie, I found that it was too big and thick that by the time I added the muscle tone and hair - his neck would be massively out of proportion! Off with the neck and on with a new one made from wire and painter's tape! Much better!
 Muscle structure done. He is now ready to start adding hair.
 I also cocked his head a little bit. He's already showing the characteristics of a stinker pony.

 Body hair on.
 This is truly my favorite part of customizing - sculpting hair. I've always been fascinated with hair from the artistic side since I was a little kid. I find curly hair particularly interesting to draw or paint - haven't done much sculpting yet, but I do have it on my list to do a Baskir Curly someday.
That flank cowlick whatever you call it, this time is in the right location. My past two fuzzy Shetland Ponies had theirs directly in the flank, but apparently in real life, it isn't. You learn something new everyday.

To be continued...

3 comments:

  1. Wow -- I'm impressed! I might have to get in line for one of your fuzzy ponies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep you in-mind when I go to do my next one - which would be sometime after Breyerfest.

      Delete