Tuesday, June 9, 2020

A Merry Find!

Back in May, I saw a post on Model Horse Customizers FB group of body grade model horses for sale. Of course, once I saw that there were two Shetland Ponies (plus a few others) - I knew I had to grab them as soon as possible due to their decent price. Once everyone came in the mail, I usually go onto Identify Your Breyer to see exactly who these ponies really are. And boy, was I in for a surprise! Not to mention that I felt bad for wanting to customize a vintage dappled grey model whose whites were still fairly white, but he ended up being none other than a darker variant of the original Merrylegs from the Classic Black Beauty set! Nope, not customizing this one!
But I did have to repair his hindleg. Matching colors is always stressful for me since there aren't very many guides out there for repairing model horses. My dad helped me see some of the influencing colors. The other side of his leg isn't that good, so I decided to have him only for Photo Shows.

Protective covering for spraying the matte and gloss finishes. I think he is a Glossy, so matching the sealant was another sketchy challenge.

I admit that it was probably too hot to leave these precious plastic ponies out in the sun. I checked them, and they were not harmed by the sun's burning rays. I moved them into the shade once I realized this.

 All ready for her first show! Yes, I say "her" for three reasons. One, the mold's a mare and this was a common occurrence for many of the guy Breyers of that era. Two, judges advise against labeling a mare mold a stallion or a gelding and vise versa. Unless they have a hindleg that comes far enough forward to hide the area - then label the model according to the gender of the mold. Lastly, to be honest, when I look at her face, she looks like a mare to me.


And here she is, Merrylegs the Welsh Mountain Pony coming over to get a treat!
What an awesome find!

No comments:

Post a Comment