Monday, November 30, 2020

River Walk

 

I honestly don't know why Blogger can't get the photos in order when uploading in larger numbers. But I don't care at the moment since I have a splitting tension headache that started while running errands on Saturday...which is actually from breathing in my own carbon dioxide while wearing the dumb mask that is still mandatory in Utah. If it continues on to a third day, I'll be asking my mom to do cranial sacral therapy on me - it's similar to chiropractic stuff.

Anyways, Mom was wanting to get out. The boys were further up the canyon hiking in snow. Jasper (the dog) goes crazy with cabin fever in winter because he has limited access to the outdoors due to keeping the back door closed to keep out the cold. Victoria, my little sister (red jacket^), has been needing to get out and walk, but something that isn't too strenuous. And then my dad and I came along, because we knew we needed it, too.

Almost by default, whenever I bring my camera (this time my little Casio), I am by myself. Too busy capturing the world to keep up with it, I guess.
One of the first things we noticed once we reached this end of the country on our way to Yellowstone when I was in high school, was that there was water next to the road. Where I grew up, there were dry riverbeds. Rarely, had there been enough rain to overflow Tempe Town Lake Dam to flood the dry riverbed from it.
Jasper was standing there proudly on the rock, but since the Casio takes awhile to turn on, he was already getting down by the time I could snap a picture. Auto cameras aren't great for instant pictures in these cases. I could have brought the Canon, but again, my headache is not just in my head/TMJ/eye/ear area, but also in my neck and I did not want the camera to add weight to it.
I really need to create a model horse scale fence with a grass base to help with breaking up the hard edge between the footing and the background. This is great inspiration - even if I don't use it.
My favorite part about this trail, is this fascinating spring that is seeping out from the side of a rock cliff next to the trail. During the summer, this whole area is just MUD. Winter, ICE.
But the cool part is that towards the middle of December, the water coming out of the spring freezes over, creating a waterfall gushing out the side of the cliff. This can be seen from the highway. What you can see here is the start of it with few visible icicles.
Ice reflections

Shadow line versus the sun line in Logan Canyon.
I have no idea what kind of plant this is by this seed pod. Not a bad picture for a little Casio, isn't it?
There were a lot of bushes with these peculiar seed pods all up and down the trail.
There was little bits of snow that collected in-between rocks and on the sides of the trail.
Trees are cool!
I mean, look at this root system?
Trees are unstoppable!
We don't know what this was either.
And this was also everywhere.
We really liked the color combo of the sagey green stems and the light yellow flower heads.

I thought this was a snazzy idea and it totally worked, too!
Obviously, I had to wait until I had my phone to take this picture!!
It was cold, like really cold, however. I think I needed my handy-need-a-new-pair gloves that my grandparents had brought back for me from Scotland to wear under these gloves (they are made from Cashmere wool and are so much better than the Acrylic ones you get here in America). My fingers were like ice!!

I'm hoping that I'll get more of my ICEE project done today - at least the main part of it, though. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment