Sunday, September 20, 2020

Color Poll

 

Something I like to do is re-arrange my herd every so often (and since I have been out of college, it has been more like every 1-2 months vs. 3-6 months). The last order idea was categorizing everybody to be align with MEPSA's Breed Class List...which started I think at the beginning of August. Obviously, I got bored and wanted to change it to their Color Class List.

Then yesterday morning I had the bright idea to make a Color Poll to see what color is the most collected in my herd. I had about 3 or 4 retakes on how I made the list, but this is what it came out to (horses with patterns of white double dip in their base color, pattern, and combo pattern if present):


  • Chestnut/Sorrel: 41
  • Bay: 35
  • Fantasy: 31
  • Black: 28
  • Appaloosa: 26
  • Cream: 25
  • Grey: 24
  • Tobiano: 23
  • Framed Overo: 14
  • Roan: 12
  • Multiple Dilutes: 9
  • Dun: 7
  • Other Dilute: 7
  • Pinto Combo: 6
  • Sabino: 4
  • Decorator: 3
  • White Mutation: 1 (Photo is incorrect - accidentally placed a Fantasy there).
  • Donkey: 1

A lot of the numbers are surprising for me. When I first started collecting, my absolute favorite were horses that looked like Spirit*!
Then in High School, I was introduced to color genetics through D. Philip Sponenberg's second edition, "Equine Color Genetics." So of course the colors I collected expanded to more unique ones.

Strangely enough, I don't consider that I have very many Black horses, but yet I do. I have found that only certain molds look excellent in Black (like Breyer's Bluegrass Bandit and Chex to Cash).

But above all....

......by being a redhead - I surprisingly collect mainly redheaded horses.

No comments:

Post a Comment