Wednesday, April 1, 2020

"Guess Who I Am? But I'm Not Who You Think I Am"

Back in September at Sugarfoot Live Model Horse Show, the judge for the customs division was completely convinced that Alistair (far right) was customized on the Breyer Merrylegs mold. I just smiled and said "No, he isn't. He's on the Breyer Traditional Shetland Pony mold." She was not convinced.

I originally was going to write about this incident after the show, but obviously forgot about it until I came across the photos I took for it. So, here it is!
 Here's his original model. This guy was pleading for a new face. He had a broken ear and his white markings were terribly yellow. I had, I think, gotten him at a thrift store while visiting my grandparents when they still lived in Scottsdale, AZ. So this picture was taken at their house.
I didn't get many pictures of his sculpting progress, but I did find this one that I hadn't started on his legs yet - therefore showing the evidence of the original model....
 To be honest, I had no idea that he resembled the Merrylegs mold at all. My little sister just happened to have a model on Merrylegs mold, so I used him for comparison pictures. It is very easy see the similarities, though, it is also very easy to forget which leg is raised on what side when trying to remember the general features of a mold. The Merrylegs mold is used as a Miniature Horse in the Traditional scale and a Shetland Pony in the Classic Scale. And by looking at both of these photos...
He is significantly smaller than Alistair.
 Lunamoon is another of my little sister's models, that is, used to be. My sister gave me Lunamoon mostly because she thought that the pony was not exciting enough and looked fat. I agree on the not-so-exciting part, as it is, she's just standing there looking pretty. She's not running with her mane and tail flowing out behind. Literally not exciting enough. On the roundish part, in a way....most ponies look that way.
 Obviously, due to size, these two are from the same scale pony.
 I didn't notice this until I received Carlotta Emma for Christmas this last year. Their movements are on the same side of the body. Why the judge didn't suspect this girl? I have no idea. My best guess is that her mold isn't very popular or common.
Size difference is still the biggest issue, again, only with Alistair being the smaller one.

No comments:

Post a Comment