Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Palm Sunday Getaway

One of my family's favorite activities is going and sitting at Bear Lake. It is kind of like going to the beach. There's sand in some places, rock in others. There are clam shells and two kinds of snail shells. Blue water like the Caribbean. The weather and temperature is like the beach. There are SEAGULLS!!! No, I'm not kidding! The Californian Seagull is Utah's state bird! The only difference is that the air isn't salty, because it's a freshwater lake.

The one thing we haven't done is going to Bear Lake this early in the season. I mean, look! There's still snow on the ground! That is, in Logan Canyon, once you get high enough in altitude.


 This is The Sinks. The Sinks gets its name from how the air kind of "sink" in this valley, making the temperature drop. This is one of the best places to go sledding, snowmobiling, cross country skiing, and snow camping. 
 We saw many different animals on the way to Bear Lake and back home. We saw a moose, wild turkey, cattle (above), waterfowl....I think there were more, but I can't remember now.

 Here's Bear Lake from the hill coming out of the canyon. On a clear day, it can get extremely blue from the minerals in the lake. There is a fault line running directly through the middle of the lake and nobody has found the bottom yet. There are stories of a Bear Lake Monster that lives in the lake and uses the fault line as a passage to get to Loch Ness, Scotland, to become the Loch Ness Monster.

One of my favorite things to do at Bear Lake, is to take beach photos of my Breyer Horses. (My other favorites is kayaking and rock hunting).




 I have been needing to bring Moana to get some decent photos that really captures her coloring. Normally, we go to the North Beach in Idaho, where there's more sand and feels like a real beach. But, this time we went to the East shore because some of the areas allow dogs. So, we brought our Border Collie, Jasper. This side was more rocky and was primarily all sandstone. Which was great for several of my horses who I brought, because it really made their colors pop.

 Little miss champion, Daisy, was rather difficult to photograph due to being a Stablemate and everything else was huge. I also was starting to run out of memory on the camera, so I had to be smart with what photos I am going to keep and which to toss. I am, however, going to try a different tactic with her, since I didn't really like how these turned out (though, I might use the one above as a scene entry).
 Wapiti's show side isn't all that great because of how his mane is attached - you could see the unpainted plastic underneath the mane. So, I figured that he'd do well in scene photos like the one above...


 ...And portrait photos. The middle one I'm going to use as an updated photo for MEPSA (especially, with the championships coming up in June!)
 Always gotta get a through the ears photo. I might try this one in a scenes class.
This would be my third...or more...attempt at getting a good photo of Lionheart. He is a little stinker. He's a Glossy. He's a color that's sensitive with the background color (except this one, YAY!) He's the first one to fall face-first into the sand....
 Yeah, look at that flare! Of course, he's a stinker!
 This is one of those reality shots of what it really looks like when trying to get a realistic picture of a model horse.




 The many faces of Lionheart. Each angle tells a different story.

No comments:

Post a Comment