Sunday, March 29, 2020

Interesting Findings: Stablemates QH Stallion

One of the things I like to do is making families out of my model horses. This is something I have done even as a little kid with my multitudes of plastic animals, stuffed animals, Barbie dolls,...etc. It is very satisfying for me to have a mommy, a daddy, and a baby. It's even better when the baby has adult siblings and therefore nieces and nephews. But what's awesome is when the parents' parents and siblings and cousins are also included. 

Though, as usual, in the patterns of collection model horses - whether it's what's new with Breyer or that model you've always wanted that just appeared on Ebay for a decent price - you always end up with an imbalance of boys vs. girls. For example, I like big hair. Yes, that means a vast variety of Kathleen Moody's molds with the horse's mane and tail blowing magnificently in the breeze. Yes, it means thinking of every possible scheme on how to acquire a Jennifer Scott "Hamilton." In all these crazy hair do's, there's one problem: they're all stallions! Yeah, they're mostly all these macho stallions. And no mares to match them (in turn, the year all the awesome looking mares from the Premier Club that became available to the general public - it was like "finally there's a mare for my bachelor stallion!") Yes, these things matter to me.

But what about the models on the smaller scale? Do I have the same problem? Not this year. This year I have more mares than stallions. Not too bad. I do have a few horses here and there who could be matched up and have a crossbreed baby or wait until you get one that's the same breed. Well, I had bought some vintage Stablemates from another shower at Sugarfoot Live back in September. Three to be exact: a Morgan Mare, a Thoroughbred mare, and a Quarter Horse Stallion. The TB mare has been matched, but the Morgan and the Quarter horse has not been. As of February, I now have two modern Stablemate Quarter Horse mares needing a mate. I thought, "Oh, I have a QH stallion;" but when I paired him up with the girls, I was in for a surprise. They (the girls) were gigantic! He looked dinky next to them. I did, however, look up the height of a Quarter Horse and found that they do range from 14hh. to 16hh. So, he is probably closer to 15hh., with the girls at 16hh, when you compare them.

Though, when these molds were sculpted, sizing the new generation of molds with the previous molds hasn't stayed consistent with previous molds aside from staying within the scale measurements. So far, over the years, the horses seem to have grown larger in addition better detail. Left to right: G1 QH Stallion, G2 Appaloosa Gelding, G3 Standing Stock Horse Mare, G4 Para Dressage QH Mare, and G4 Loping QH Mare (Dungaree).

Here is a comparison of the G3 and G4 QH/Stock Horse Mares with the G3 Standing TB Gelding and the new single Walking TB Stallion. They are all roughly the same size, so, in real horse measurements, they are likely 16hh.

Other than size, the G1 QH Stallion poses another interesting fact. He is the ONLY QH Stallion in the Stablemate QH/Stock Horse line-up (excluding all mustang type molds which includes Rivet. Though, he could count as from the line of Quarter Horses that have Percheron blood...no, really! They exist!) The others in that line-up are either geldings or mares. But, no new stallions have been made so far.
Weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment