Saturday, March 21, 2020

MEPSA Foal Special Feb. 2020

Here are the results for the MEPSA Foal Special back in the end of February. There were some uncertainties I had with which class to enter these babies...stemming from what I had read in the rules of live showing: no babies in the regular breed class - only in the foal designated classes. Apparently, from what I discovered through this show, with MEPSA, foals can show in the breed classes...??? I still need to confirm that, so I'll write about it when I have more information. In other words, the judge placed some of my foals in the breed classes when I had not originally entered them there. Either way, it was a test. I also miscounted the number of photos I had entered, because if I remember correctly, I was quite tired when I was filling out the form for the show. ALWAYS BE ALERT WHEN FILLING OUT THOSE FORMS!!!!

Head Study Class:
Amazing Grace got 1st place! Awesome!
 This was the second time entering this photo in the Head Study class - which placed another 4th placing. It's probably because it needs to be in Portrait format and not Landscape. I wonder how this photo would place in the Scene class???Lou always looks unsure from this point of view.

Performance Division: Scene Class
 Onto the Performance Division! Encore's couple of pictures did really well for being taken the same day. The one above shows a nice reflection and also just a sliver of her profile. This one placed 3rd.
 What a little Cutie! This one got the "Cute Factor" and placed 2nd.
 Lou (left) and Mato Ska (right) are like best buds. What I find interesting is that even though Lou's mold was sculpted in 1974 and Mato Ska's mold in 1995 by two completely different artists for two completely different family sets; is that they seem to be made for each other. Mato Ska's neck comes down at the right height that Lou could rest his head over Mato Ska's neck. They're both older foals - Mato Ska is a yearling and Lou is a 5 month old who's in that weird growing phase where nothing is in proportionate with the other. It's amazing how realistic they look in this photo. Nothing is forced. It doesn't look like you just plopped two plastic horses down on the ground, in the water, and took a picture. No! These two different molds from two different time periods complimented each other so perfect that they placed 1st!!!

Original Finish Halter Division:
 Swirl, Spirit's* son, placed 10th in the Gender division: Draft/Pony/Carriage/Other Foal - Heat 2 class.
 Twiglight placed 8th in the Breed division: Other Mix/Grade (American Spotted Draft x Paint). He was one of the foals who, well, I guess all of them were, placed in a breed class by the judge. Each judge is different. Some would move photos to the proper class, and some don't. But one key habit to get into when competing in anything - is to ask questions on how to improve. I am still working on improving my pictures, but it is because I have asked for feedback on every. single. show. It helps me see from the judge's point of view on where I need to improve. And I could tell ya, there's a lot of improving I need to do before entering the end of April/beginning of May shows!
 Arrow placed 7th in the Breed: Other Mixed/Grade. I originally had him as a Quarter Horse x Paint. Though, with one of the last shows I showed his mom, Cupid, in, I am going to change it. The real Cupid and Arrow story is of a rescue mare with a heat-shaped star on her forehead, who surprisingly gave birth to a colt on Valentine's Day. The colt's namesake is the arrow-shaped marking above his tail. So, why am I changing his breed mix. Well, the year a bunch of my Breyer horses found their breeds, Breyer was doing a photo contest that was Quarter Horse themed....and Cupid seemed to be childish logical solution, since I owned no official Quarter Horse models. Apparently, her mold reads as more of a sport type than a stock type. In turn, if her "breed" changes, so would Arrow's.
Chip (Grey Appy) and Strawberry (Palomino) are two of my first official Breyer Horses. I received them both for my 10th birthday. That is, all of my oldest Breyers I got around the same time, so of course I don't remember who came first! I'd say they did pretty good for '60's Vintage models in a world of recent models (probably from 1990ish to today). They both made it to the top ten; with Chip placing 6th in the Breed class: Other Mixed/Grade being 1/4 Thoroughbred x 3/4 Appaloosa; and Strawberry placing 3rd in the Color class: Cream (she is Quarter Horse x Arabian).

No comments:

Post a Comment