Tuesday, December 6, 2022

Advent Model Horse Photo Challenge: Day 6

 


Day 6 - Breyer


Croi Damhse - Buckskin Connemara Pony Mare - Breyer SM 2022 TSC Blind Bag Croi Mold - Personal Herd Member (Needs a mate - wondering on the size comparison with the new SM Haflinger Mold)

When I saw a picture of this girl, she immediately reminded me of the original Premier Club Model. So, of course, I had to give her the same name. One thing I noticed on IDYB was the extra note one what her name actually means: Dancing Heart.

OK, well, I just so happen to have an English-Irish/Irish-English Dictionary from when I was trying to learn Irish from Rosetta Stone. So, I thought I'd look up each "Name" to double check the actual meanings. This is what I found:

First of all, Croi means Heart.

It is also pronounced kree like the Cree Native Americans

not kroy like the fish.

Quite a shocker to probably a vast majority of the model horse community who aren't familiar with the Irish language.


Secondly, Damhse means Dance.

And it is pronounced daw-say.

Yep, that's the Irish language for ya if you are looking at the spelling versus the pronunciation!

It actually took me awhile to learn how to spell and pronounce Damhse correctly...that it lead me to nicknaming her Darcey.

Why?

There's a trick to it!

To get the hang of saying Damhse is to practice saying Darcey like you have a European accent while dropping the "R" in Darcey. So, in turn, Darcey sounds like daw-say aka Damhse instead!


In short, her full name translated to English is:

Heart Dance


Stay tuned for the next installment!

No comments:

Post a Comment