Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Breyerfest: Day One - The Model Horse Photo Show

Day One of Breyerfest was spent by constantly checking my email and scouring the Breyerfest Photo Show Smugmug site to see if any of my 133 entries placed. By the end of the day, I was pretty frustrated and bummed. From what I could see, only two of my horses placed - both relatively low. I could not figure out what was wrong. Sure, some of my photos were overexposed and others' heads were a little dark. But the majority of them had good lighting and crispness. I don't know if my background was too distracted, but I wasn't the only one with a "real" background - thanks to Breyer opening up Breyerfest to all the photo showers as well this year (which includes me! None of my entries placed in the Performance classes, though I could guess as to why: Breyer Dolls versus Custom Dolls. I use Breyer's dolls since I am currently unable to invest in customs dolls. But I really tried to achieve the "WOW Factor" as Jennifer Buxton calls it, but the dolls still gave the entries a lower grade. Though, I had to really remind myself that judging is done at random in regards to the owner of the entry and that each judge has their own preferences and likes. 

I heard about Cindy Lou's class being pinned first. She was the ONLY recent Quarter Horse mold to place in the top ten out of 9 vintage Quarter Horse Stallions (though, there may have been a vintage QH mare, but I don't remember). She placed 8th.
Later in the day was Ezio Trot de Favacho in the other Spanish class. He placed 9th. I've noticed that very few people favor his left side as his show side, most of the other pictures I see of him show his other side like how Breyer advertised him.

And that was the end of day one.

However, on Saturday...
 The results for the Fun classes were posted. Snowman got Honorable Mention in the Fun Costumes class. That's cool!

Still, that's two and a half placings. I was pretty down about that.

Only to find a surprise when the written results came in an email Sunday evening.
 Apparently, I misread Wintersong's placing. I thought he placed 11th, one placing shy of making the top 10. Well, he did. He made 10th place.
 I didn't see Bear at all when looking through all the entries trying to find your own (there were SO, so many! There were 319 entrants and unlimited number of entries - the only rule that applied to number was that you are allowed 2 entries per class). He ended up with placing 8th in the TWH class.

Anybody else?
Nope.
Not even my fuzzy Shetland Ponies placed. But there were other fuzzies who placed in other classes?
Yeah, the photo show was weird.


No comments:

Post a Comment