Friday, January 31, 2020

NaMoPaiMo Starts Tomorrow!

And I'm not ready.
It's not much of procrastinating, but of doing something that isn't quite working as well as you want it to be.
As usual, I wanted to do something different. But it also was a project that really needs to be done.
So, this is my 2020 NaMoPaiMo horse:
 I had gotten it for I think maybe Christmas - about 5 years ago now. I had glued most of the pieces together then. However, since I was still attending Utah State University at the time, I couldn't work on the kit as much. It wasn't until last year when I finally figured out what I was going to do with it. My original thought was to have it done for NaMoPaiMo last year, but that didn't happen. So, this year I decided that I should really finish it!

 It started with filling in seams that didn't meet in the gluing process. As well as, prepping other weird seams in other places.

 Then it was estimating out how everything went together to see where it needs improvement....like EVERYWHERE!!!
 I had decided to use tiny Earth Magnets, as what I have seen other model horse artists use, in place of the peg/hole method; since they didn't work properly.
 I had also added texture to the tongue, since it had none; and the throat was just flat.
 One piece of advice I would give to others who are wanting to do this kit: Is to set the magnets BEFORE putting the pieces together! It would save time on worrying that you are going to lose the magnets on the inside of the organ pieces. I did not have the magnet idea when I first got it. So, I have to use expanding foam.
 ...And make sure that there's a hole big enough for the wand to fit into.
 Ewww!
 Unfortunately, whenever the dogs see any kind of can that sprays something - they think it's a can of whip cream. So, we had to fence them out of the kitchen until the foam was dry enough to handle. Jasper barked the whole time.
 Here are the magnets.
Pretty tiny, eh? Those little dots are on the different magnets that are going to be on the matching piece.

What happened next deserves a post of its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment