Thursday, January 9, 2020

Curling Doll Hair....That is, Doll Horse Hair

I knew I wanted to do something creative with her hair, but how do you exactly go about that with synthetic doll hair? This website has a pretty easy step-by-step tutorial on how to curl doll hair. Of course, they used an old My Little Pony, so they didn't have to worry about ruining a custom finish with soapy, warm water. So, I wrapped Sonya up like a mummy with Saran wrap.
The first step is making a conditioner for the hair, which uses fabric softener (unfortunately, the container doesn't come in a small, squirt of a bottle). Then you need to soak as much of the hair in it as possible.
Then curl it! I had to go hunting for some plastic straws. I remember that my mom had a gallon size Ziploc bag stuffed to the gills of cut plastic straws for crafts, but I think we got rid of them when we moved. Thankfully, I found another bag of straws. The bobby pins were borrowed from my little sister - in other words, I should probably get my own if I intend on curling more doll hair any time soon. I also cut the straws pieces lengthwise to create a starting place like real curlers.
And then rinsed in clean water.
Repeat process with the tail and then set it on a towel to dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment