Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Dapples 'n' Soot 'n' Bend Or Spots

 

In addition to Now-U-See-It and Dreamwalker, I had been customizing a few of personal pieces. One of which is Starshine. Starshine is on the SM Standardbred mold and is in an extremely golden Palomino color - NOT present in the breed! In fact, Palomino on a lightish boned pacer/trotter horse doesn't even exist. There is, however, a breed from Sweden that does come in Palomino...but the overall horse is more of a heavier bone.


That's when I decided to use the Original Finish as my base coat to make a glowing Chestnut purebred Standardbred while using pastels.


Looking better already!


She ended up being a Sooty Chestnut with Dapples and Bend Or Spots. It has been awhile since I had attempted Dapples again. The first time was using the rubbing alcohol,,, which resulted in Reverse Dapples. Tried gesso dapples..... too textured. These were done while using an old kneaded eraser - and totally worked! Got a new kneaded eraser, though, since the old one didn't mold like how they're supposed to.


Onto the other side...





Whites are next.








Finished! Now she could go to her first show!!!



And now Autumn. Autumn, just like Starshine and a bunch of other mares in my collection, are originally on guy molds. I really liked her color, so her sootyness is not as extreme as Starshine's.




Her dappling is more subtle and she seemed like she needed more white on her to make her different enough from the original finish.


Surprise! She is now a Sabino!



Then began the hunt of what breed....


I was trying to go with some other breeds - including the Australian Draft Horse. But when I was comparing head structures, she was obviously a a Gypsy Vanner.




She is an absolutely a beauty!


They both are!


I didn't get a whole lot of pictures of Trinket...mostly because I was cramming to finish her for NaMoPaiMo. She was one of the prizes from the MEPSA Champ Show 2020. You can't really tell in this picture, but she is very yellowed - which was a bummer, since I really liked her interesting coloring.



She ended up being an extremely Sooty Palomino. I tried to add some Dapples, but wasn't able to since I didn't use an eraser and tried to use a paint brush.


Death by White! Just when you think you have enough layers - ya gotta put on more!

Welll.... that wasn't the main problem.
The main problem was the decision in handling something white with earth pigmented hands from "painting" Now-U-See-It.
These two needed a couple of new coats of paint after that one!!


All Finished!


I don't know if you can see it in the pictures, but she actually has quite a few Roaned patches.



You can kind of see her blotchy dapples in this picture.


She absolutely has more of a yellow base than an orange base. Her tail is designed to be only partially Sooty, with the ends being the normal Palomino cream color.



I decided to paint all of my gaited mares' ribbons Pink (Knightly's Glitterbomb's is also Pink). There is some detail with colored pencil on the ribbons, but it was too obvious, so I painted over it with diluted Pink metallic paint. I also found that colored pencil is excellent for re-enhancing the eye color if lost when the paint dried.

No comments:

Post a Comment