Sunday, September 29, 2019

A Different Tactic

Dremeling a drastic custom is still in the experimenting stage. In the past, I had taken out the entire ribcage like on these two stablemates.
 And, of course, I still need to work on not getting the skeletal structure so thin that the limbs break off without warning.

 So, I tried a different tactic of leaving the ribcage on, while making the spine still movable.



 I got my dad to help me with cutting his mouth with a dremel rotary blade - more like supervising, since I hadn't used one before....and I know that they are very fragile and will break without any notice.

 The foam stage is weird. Look, he has teddy bear ears!
 Ah, much better!
One thing I did do differently was the painter's tape vs. notepad-paper-over-Apoxie-plus-rubber-bands-method.
Apparently, the Apoxie doesn't adhere to the foam because it needs a porous surface - not smooth and spongy. Forming Ocean Mist's (stablemate) ribcage was a challenge due to the lumpiness caused by the rubber bands trying to keep the Apoxie on the foam. That's why I figured that painter's tape would work better, since I could make it tight and the tape has enough texture for the Apoxie to bond to. I hope it works. Haven't tried it yet. Hopefully this week I could start working on him again.

No comments:

Post a Comment