Friday, November 12, 2021

Quequinox Art by Janine Haq

 


This guy's been done for awhile now, but waiting for the fall colors to take his official photoshoot was absolutely worth it!
Meet Aki!
Aki means Autumn in Japanese - very fitting for a Kirin, a Japanese Unicorn.

This whimsical medallion was sculpted by the Canadian artist, Janine Haq. She started out sculpting primarily one-of-a-kind Polymer clay sculptures of horses of all types, completely decked out with mohair manes, tails, and feather. Since then, she has entered the realm of sculpting and casting resins.

I first saw her artwork while browsing Etsy about 10+ years ago and have always wanted one of her pieces. So, when I found out that she was releasing her first medallion for her Breyerfest 2021 Sale - I knew I had to get one!



I decided to stick with her whimsical style and added moss, garland, gold glitter, and leaves (yes, those are supposed to be Japanese Maple leaves, but they kind of look like stars).


I did have to do a lot of research on traditional artwork of the Kirin. I found that they always have gold eyes, round pupils, and a yellow/flaxen mane.



I thought this was an interesting angle.



I decided to paint the back in a faux ink painting of a Japanese Maple Tree. The Japanese characters actually say "Aki."


Another neat point of view.


Thanks Janine! Keep up the good work!
Here's her website:

No comments:

Post a Comment