Wednesday, February 20, 2019

NaMoPaiMo

It's hard to believe that NaMoPaiMo is almost over and I have been doing more painting than blogging! Anyway, it is a painting challenge hosted by Braymere Custom Saddlery Blog and has been going on for the past three years now. NaMoPaiMo stands for National Model Horse Painting Month and there are people worldwide who participate in this challenge! It isn't a contest because the object of the challenge is to gain skills while having fun. And you don't have to be a pro to participate! It is open for absolute beginners up to professionals.
 This is my first NaMoPaiMo model horse. She's my very first drastic custom and is a Stablemate G2 American Saddlebred Mare turned into a Blue Silver rearing Friesian (not a cross breed, but pure. The Silver gene, as well as the Cream gene, used to be present in the breed, but was bred out. Dr. Sponenburg has picture of (possibly) the last "Blue" Silver Friesian featured in his book, Equine Color Genetics 3rd ed. Blue Moon, her name, is based off of that photograph).
 Strider's my second NaMoPaiMo model horse. Like with Blue Moon, I was attending college during that time and needed something achievable. He's on my absolute favorite Breyer Classic mold, Mesteno (so customizing one to sell would be difficult in terms of parting). And he's a Grullo Kiger Mustang (...and he's Spirit, Stallion of the Cimarron's dad....).
 Since I have graduated from college, I became determined to do something a little bit more complex...OK, way more complex! In the past few years, I have become extremely fascinated with the traditional, fuzzy Shetland Ponies. So, why not customize a bunch? I did one and he won 3rd place in Sculpture at the county fair. But I had so much fun creating him that I had to make another one. And that's how I got my third NaMoPaiMo model horse.
 Her name is Merida, since I was affectionately calling her The Scottish Queen; but I already have an Ellenora (Eleanor - from Disney's Brave), so I couldn't call her that. This is after the dremel and heat gun stage. Note that the forelock is hollow (the tail is too).
 The non-water soluble expanding foam was used to take up space within the model. I still had to drill a hole in the tail to provide an escape for trapped air. In this picture, she looks like a lion with a top hat.
 Now she is a sheep.
 "I'm not a sheep. I'm a pony!"
 Primer stage.
And the first base coat. She's going to be a Zebra Dun, which requires a yellowish base. I'm going to add a few more coats before I start with the pastel process. I'll write about her and my NaMoPaiMo side model horse later.

No comments:

Post a Comment