Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Just Getting Caught Up

I just thought I should probably get caught up with documenting the process of my custom model horses. So, the first one would be Speck's Peanut. 
 This is my original sketch.
 And the original model. He is Breyer's Zips Chocolate Chip on the Zippo Pine Bar mold. I did not buy him with the silver Sharpie lines - I added those to show where I wanted to make the "incisions" with the dremel tool (and I forgot to take a picture prior to that procedure!)
This isn't a great picture of him after the Dremeling stage (a gruesome process which is often horrifying to family members, friends, and other non-model-horse-customizers). But as you could tell - he doesn't look like the original sketch. The moment I "picked" his head up before attempting adjusting his neck...he...somewhat....formed himself - and I let him!
 Really? Who could resist such a curious and mischievous fellow?
 I ended up making a mold off of one of my other model horses' leg to make him four legged again. I also ended up fixing his shoulder after I had painted him (wish I had done that in this stage...could've saved on time and paint).


 Here's his base coat - before and after shading and highlights.
I designed him to be a Chestnut going Grey. He ended up a little whiter than I imagined, but that's okay...I really liked how his Dapples came out.

 Oh! And he's an Appaloosa, also! I'll talk about how I choose my colors in another post.
 Notice that some of his Leopard spots are greyed out and some are not. This is normal for Grey/Leopard combinations. The Friesian/Appaloosa cross, Mystic Warrior has spots like these.

All completed!

 I love this photo! It portrays his personality perfectly!
And a behind the scenes photo. I couldn't get him close enough to the cake while standing normal, so Paint Me A Pepto had to help with some leverage to get him in the right angle. The cats helped with clarifying scale!

No comments:

Post a Comment